Saturday, December 04, 2010

Braised Turkey "Pot Roast"

After the turkey load at Thanksgiving, it seems inauspicious to propose yet another turkey dish. However this one is different. And as a savory and substantial dish, it goes well in winter.

It was an effort at copying (I'll admit it) a dish that the "Flying Biscuit," our neighborhood comfort food place, has offered for years. They accompany it with a hearty mashed potato dish called "pudge," said to be a family recipe of the original chef.

That creative chef is long gone, the restaurant has been bought by a corporation and replicated elsewhere, but -- or maybe, therefore -- the menu at the Flying Biscuit doesn't seem ever to change. For some of their dishes, their salad and their biscuits, that's fine with me.

Here's the way I worked out the dish. I received no tips from the cooks at the restaurant, but I didn't ask.

It's been a while since I thought of this dish, but I was reminded of it by having cooked a lot of turkeys recently for catering and family.

The recipe will serve 4 to 6 people.

Braised Turkey Pot Roast, after the manner of The Flying Biscuit

2 turkey thighs, about 2 pounds total
1 teaspoon olive oil
1/2 teaspoon, plus more to taste
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/4 teaspoon grated nutmeg
1 medium onion, diced
1/2 large stick celery, diced
1 large clove garlic, minced
2 tablespoons flour
1/2 cup red wine
1 cup unseasoned chicken broth, or water
2 bay leaves
1/4 teaspoon thyme
2 tablespoons soy sauce
2 tablespoons ketchup
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
Minced parsley for garnish

In heavy pot, gently fry turkey thighs (skin still on) in oil. (More oil will come from turkey.) Fry over medium-low heat, turning frequently, until browned all over.

Lift thighs out of pot to a plate. Sprinkle all over with a mixture of the salt, black pepper and nutmeg.

Meanwhile, fry diced onion and celery in drippings remaining in pot, stirring frequently, until golden brown.

Stir in garlic, and fry 1 minute. Stir in flour, and fry 2 minutes.

Add pre-fried turkey thighs and wine. Let boil gently, scraping bottom of pot.

Add broth or water plus all the seasonings. Simmer, covered, turning thighs occasionally and scraping bottom of pot, until meat is very tender.

Remove thighs, scraping off any sauce and returning it to the pot. Discard skin and bone and tough parts from meat.

Return lean meat to pot, pull it apart somewhat with two forks. Simmer the mixture briefly. Taste and add salt, if needed.

Serve with mashed potatoes or with boiled, buttered potatoes or noodles. Dust top with minced parsley.

5 Comments:

Blogger s.hep said...

Hi Tim Dondero,
This is Kim Dondero from Royal Oak, Michigan.I was looking for an old photo of Dondero's Spaghetti House that was in Detroit for many years.How cool to run across your awesome website! Awesome recipes, generously shared! I am a hand weaver and plan to send you something from my next group of table lines...one Dondero to another! Bye for now!

6:40 PM  
Blogger Patrick M. Mitchell said...

Flying Biscuit's biscuits were TERRIBLE. Worst biscuits ever!

8:18 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Approx. cooking times would be nice...Im cooking this dish as I type...So far so good :)

4:18 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I've made this twice now. The first time I followed the recipe closely and it took about 3-4 hours total with prep, frying, and braising. My wife and I liked it so much I made it a few days later, but did a few things differently to make it a little less hands-on. First, I baked the thighs in a pan with a grilling rack for about an hour (I think at 375), then I took the drippings and fried the onions, celery, garlic, and flour in them like in the recipe. After that, I put everything into a crock pot on low for 9 hours. Then I separated the meat and put it back in. All in all, it turned out a bit more soupy, but it was just as delicious without as much constant effort.

9:47 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Made this recipe this evening and was good, but I would probably leave out the ketchup and soy sauce next time as they gave it a korean bbq flavor.

6:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home